Suddenly few of our CRM user started seeing full path in CRM IE Title bar.
After little trial and error method we found that issue was cause by change in Domain Policy and to fix this issue on individual users system we did following steps…
Step 1: open IE -> Tools -> Internet Options
Step 2: go to security tab
Step 3: select Local intranet/trusted sites deepening upon where your CRM sites are added
Step 4: Click on Custom Level
Step 5: and the go to the Miscellaneous section and find option called “Allow script-initiated windows without size or position constraints”
Step 6: Select Enabled and click Ok
Step 7: Restart all IE Sessions and this issue will be fixed.
Hope this helps,